Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 1, 2010

THE SCOTTISH CONNECTION

I was very surpised to learn that the name EVITT is Scottish.
At no time was this ever brought home to me. I never knew there were any Scottish connections in my family.
However, it may explain why I love Scottish Highland gatherings and the sound of bagpipes.
I have been the town of Bundanoon in the NSW Southern Highlands for their annual 'Brigadoon' festival several times.
This sleepy hamlet, south of Bowral, is magically transformed for that weekend with even the seats on the railway station platform bearing the name 'Brigadoon'.
I also felt an instant empathy with the Scottish people when I was travelling with a group of Australians in a car through England, Scotland and Wales when I was in my mid-20s.
I'm afraid to say I did not feel the same way about the English who I just could not warm to in any way.
But now I recall my mother telling me that my grandfather's father was a strict Presbyterian and from the sounds of it, I definitely would not have liked him.
He strongly objected when my grandfather married a Catholic who passed her religion down to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment